Apply IU & IUPUI - Frequently Asked Questions
Apply IU is IU’s new application for admission.
For summer and fall 2018 terms, your students will be able to complete one application and direct it to all campuses that interest them.
- From a web browser, navigate to https://admissions.iupui.edu/and select “How to apply.”
Domestic first-time freshmen students can apply to IU by submitting:
- One application which can be directed to any campus
- One application fee (each term you apply)
- One copy of your transcript(s) and official test scores
- One essay
International students can apply by submitting:
- One application to one IU campus, which you can then resubmit separately to each of the other campuses.
- One application fee per campus (each term you apply)
- One copy of your transcript(s) and official test scores
- No, admission into the SPAN program uses a separate application process, which will remain the same as it was for the 2016 application cycle.
- IUPUI’s SAT code is 1325 and our ACT code is 1214.
- Once your student selects the term and campuses for which they wish to apply, they will choose their Academic Program (which is a school at IUPUI) from a list. Once the program is selected, a new drop-down called Academic Plan appears and they can select their concentration (or major). Your student will need to follow these steps for every IU campus chosen.
- If your student's Date of Birth (DOB) is entered incorrectly, issues will arise in creating and maintaining your Indiana University computing accounts—including all documents related to their education. In creating your user account, your student should take care to enter the correct DOB.
- The system will share application materials with the Admissions office(s) of each IU campus which the student selected on their application. The Admissions office on each campus will evaluate the application materials based on individual campus admission policy and standards. Upon review of submitted materials, individual campuses may request that additional information be submitted to their office as part of this evaluation. Each campus will independently communicate its admission decision directly with the student.
- Each campus will independently communicate its admission decision directly with the student.
Indiana University is committed to maintaining a safe learning environment. As part of that commitment, the University requires applicants to disclose if they:
- have been subject to formal disciplinary action (including for example, but not limited to, suspension or expulsion for academic or non-academic reasons at any high school, post-secondary institution, college or university);
- have been charged with or convicted of a crime (or a foreign legal equivalent) that has not been expunged by a court;
- and/or have engaged in behavior that caused injury to person(s) or personal property (including for example, but not limited to, vandalism or behavior that led to a restraining order against you) which resulted in some form of discipline or intervention.
- A previous disciplinary action, charge, conviction, or conduct of the sort identified here does not automatically disqualify applicants from admission to IU, but they do require review by the campus admissions committee.
PLEASE NOTE: By submitting their application to Indiana University, your student acknowledges and agrees that they have a continuing obligation to inform the University of any formal disciplinary action
- for academic or non-academic reasons at any educational institution;
- any legal charges and/or convictions (or foreign legal equivalents) that have not been expunged by a court;
- and/or any behavior that causes injury to person(s) or property which results in some form of discipline or intervention that occurs from now until your enrollment at IU.
Your student must provide updated information to the campus admissions committee prior to class registration or class attendance, whichever is applicable. At that time, the campus admissions committee will review the information provided and may consider whether to delay or rescind their admission to IU.
Fees & Deadlines
IUPUI’s application fee is now $65. If your student chooses to apply to IUPUI and IU East, for example, the fee will be $65 total but will cover both applications. A fee is not required if you have previously applied for undergraduate admission at any Indiana University campus.
IU application fees range from $35 to $65, depending on the campus and program your student chooses. A fee is not required if you have previously applied for undergraduate admission at any Indiana University campus. A breakdown of the application fee structure can be found below:
Tier 1: If you student chooses one or more of the following campuses as they apply, the application fee charged will be $65: IU Bloomington, IUPUI, IUPUC (Columbus), or IU Fort Wayne.
Tier 2: If you student chooses only from these IU campuses, the application fee charged will be $35: IU East (Richmond), IU Kokomo, IU Northwest (Gary), IU South Bend, or IU Southeast.
International applicants to any IU campus will pay a $65 application fee and are limited to one campus per application.
IUB has special additional fees when music is chosen as a program.
- For fall semester: May 1
- For spring semester: November 1
- For summer session I: March 15
- For summer session II: May 1
Last day to submit materials
- For fall semester: May 16
- For spring semester: November 16
- For summer session I: March 30
- For summer session II: May 16
Application fees can be paid by credit card or eCheck.
Application fees paid by credit card are processed through PayPal. It is not necessary to create a PayPal account to pay your application fee with a credit card.
Visit How PayPal Works to learn more.
To pay by eCheck, you will have to enter a valid Account Holder’s name, Routing Number, and Account Number.
- The Routing Number is usually nine (9) digits long, and the number on the physical check is enclosed by this symbol:
- The Account Number is 4-17 digits long, and on the physical check it is enclosed by this symbol:
- Please do not include a Check Number (found in the top right corner of your check) as part of the Account Number.
- No, the application fee for an Apply IU submission is non-refundable. For this reason, it is imperative that all applicants click the Submit button only once when processing their application payment.
Indiana University accepts fee waiver forms for all applicants except international applicants at IUPUI.
- Indiana University accepts fee waiver forms from the College Board or National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC), as long as the necessary information is provided by your guidance counselor.
- IU also accepts completed fee waivers provided by the ACT or SAT that have been verified by your high school counselor.
- If you are a 21st Century Scholar, the application fee will be waived if you indicate that you participated in this program during the completion of your application.
- When a campus’ deadline for the desired term selected at the top of the Academic Goals page has passed, the campus will appear “greyed out” (unavailable).
Apply IU is designed to function on all major internet browsers, including:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Edge
Internet Explorer is not a supported browser for Apply IU.
- Yes, Apply IU is accessible from both tablets and smartphones, including iOS and Android.
IUPUI recommends that your student upload their documents using the following file formats: .doc/.docx, .pdf or .txt. At present, Google Documents (.gdoc) have proven difficult to retrieve.
If your student uploads their application Essay or Behavioral Disclosure Statement in Google Doc format, please understand that there is a risk of their application showing up as incomplete. To avoid this risk, consider uploading your document in one of the supported file formats.
- Once the application has been submitted, you cannot update the application.
Your student can submit a new application to an additional campus and use previously submitted information.
To submit an application for an additional campus, log in using the account information that your student initially created to submit the application. Then follow the steps below:
- Click the Create New Application button.
- When the systems prompts your student to use a copy of their responses from their previously submitted application, they will click the Yes, Copy Responses button.
- Go to the Academic Goals tab and select the additional campus. Note that if your student has already submitted an application to a particular campus, you will not be able to select that campus again.
- If your student has forgotten their IU Passphrase and need to reset it, they can visit the IU Knowledge Base article, How do I reset my IU passphrase.
If you are having issues with Apply IU’s functionality, we recommend that you upgrade your internet browser to the most recent version. Also, be sure to allow pop-ups and enable third-party cookies when using Apply IU.
If trouble persists, please contact IU Technical Support. Visit the IU Knowledge Base article, How do I contact each campus Support Center for IT help.